Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Ajooba-osis Dissected :D

PS. Terribly sorry about creating a whole new blog yet again after having been dead on the others for so long!

Okayy people, as I embark on a new chapter in my life- ‘The Professional’, here is a new blog, dedicated solely to capturing the misadventures in my professional journey. Again, most of this will not make sense to most of you, esp: since it contains a lot of insider jokes, concepts etc etc .. but I guess I had to chronicle it before everything vaporized into thin air. Unfortunately, those who are a part of this story, are not exactly blog-readers… So I guess this space is going to be pretty much about me doing both the ends - writing and reading …

Most of what has transpired in the past two months has definitely been worth recording in print :D Unfortunately, I couldn’t gather enough energy or patience to write down any updates before this(click here for details) (and trust me that’s a LOT of fun data lost! :P ) …

This post captures the goings on in my life at present, in a slightly unconventional fashion. Let’s just remind ourselves that I live in a place codenamed “Ajoobapur” these days, at a SOO-gar unit ( yeah, pls note that it is SOO as in SU-doku and not ‘Shoe’ ;) ). You will find me talking a lot of weird stuff such as Gannas (our raw material being sugarcane), MOMO’s ( not the edible ones, no!- sssh ..it’s kinda a code, will tell you in private) … And oh! by the way, I do codename anything and everything these days.

Anywho...read on …

Disease: Ajooba-osis

Causal factor: Prolonged exposure to soo-gar plant-life, at a remote, isolated location surrounded by nothing but ganna fields for kilometers on end. Found more commonly amongst innocent, low maintenance varieties of Homo Sapiens Species, belonging to the S- Grade (for example, the likes of Shruti, Soumyadeep, Samkit) ;)

Symptoms

You know you have been Ajooba-fied when:

  • You find yourself humming B-grade songs that reflect a pitiable craving for the simple pleasures of living in a city/ ‘shahar’.

Case in point – One boring day, on our routine walk from the guesthouse to the godforsaken plant, one of the patients burst out abruptly (without any prior warning!), “Oye hoye .. yeh kudiyan shahar-undiya!!” … As I shot him looks of horror and concern (Oh, he was such a normal, happy-go-lucky boy before being Ajoobafied!) the patient then suddenly regained his senses and refused to acknowledge or discuss the incident that had occurred a few seconds ago.

  • You find yourself aggressively (and humorously!), engaging in endless and pointless discussions about the future of the company, that of your friends and of course, your own future, with ALL the hours and hours of talks ending in the same brilliantly fruitful conclusion:

“chodo yaar…. Mood kharab mat karo.. abhi enjoy karo.. KAL KISNE DEKHA!!” ;)

  • You genuinely start believing (and happily telling anyone around) that EVERYTHING in your life- is totally ‘MAST’.

So, be it the sad and scarce ganne ke khet, or the only A.C restaurant in Shahjahanpur… the much hyped water park in the neighboring city of Bareilly, or the countless number of fatal accidents that take place on the connecting highway … if, in your opinion, sabkuch ‘mast-hai mast-hai mast-hai mast-hai’.. seriously, see your doc ASAP!

  • You wake up in the morning, walk up to your office.. speed up to punch in your card before the siren blows.. check your mails on the desktop (read all the mail forwards diligently, and forward the ones you find most mast to your friends/ colleagues.. order tea, drink tea.. check the status of the share market… order tea, drink tea… crack a few mast ganna jokes with your equally mast friends..laugh heartily ..order tea, drink tea… head for lunch….head towards your room for a power nap… repeat the same ritual post lunch, until the time-out siren blows.. punch out.. head for volleyball (with the fierce passion of a veteran sportsperson).. head for dinner… go for a pre-bed walk.. and as you yawn .. you pounce upon any young new trainees walking by, and brag/grumble about the “workload” in this otherwise totally mast place!

  • You find your emotions acquiring the stability of a drunk yo-yo: from rolling up with laughter one minute, to stomping your feet/ shaking your fists in confused anger in the next!

If you notice your friends walking two steps ahead of you, and maintaining a respectful, additional two feet’s sideways distance … andd if they frequently duck out of your way everytime you turn around to say something, seriously!, hop on to the next Shaheed Express and get your civil life back!

Disclaimer: This example is purely fictional and any resemblance to any person (living or dead) is purely unintentional. (A certain SIR may please note this :P )

· You greet people (of all ages, colors and kinds) with an extra-enthusiastic “Yo! Baiiibeee!!” or “Hey, Guyzz” instead of the decent, tried and tested formula of, ‘hello/hi’.

This particular condition is termed as Yo-ification, and the good news is that it is totally curable. A daily dosage of 3 Yo-free hours everyday, for two weeks. Additional avoidance of its carrier organism, ‘blooming BUD’ would help in faster recovery :D ;)

And lastly… you are definitely infected with this deadly disease IF,

  • Your heart breaks into a zillion pieces upon being told that you may not have to spend 6 months in Ajooba-land after all! While most normal people would hug the bringer of such awesome news, you may find yourself choking on your own words .. “Oh noooo.. WHYYY!!” ..

(of course, the fact that you would be relocated all ALL ALONE, to ‘Looney’- a crazier step-sister of this AJAB pLACE, is enough to make anyone cry!)

Cure:

The antidote is simple: De-Ajoobafication. While this is certainly a long-drawn procedure, the disease is almost fully curable. The treatment consists of relocating the patient to a distance of minimum 600 k.m, in a place which is everything that Ajooba-land is not: Polluted, noisy, crowded, pacy, and HOME! The place is better identified as Delhi, for most of the patients. If left untreated in time, the disease could result in consequences that are fatal… ( naah, not for the victims, but for the powers-that-be, lovingly referred to as their MOMOs!)

Guess that’s it for now.. not sure when I’ll be posting next .. You people take care of yourself .. All the very best in your new jobs, endeavours etc etc ( this is esp: for my USMLE kids.. hope the prep’s coming along fine!!)

On a parting note….

naaaaaaah…. I hate the parting!

Chalo,

Cheers, n God Bless :)

10 comments:

  1. I can't believe that I am the first person to comment (*victory dance*) - ME, as arps says - a very non-blog person. But Shruti, I love it - the way you have written is awesome (for obvious reasons) and I think I get the content too.
    But 1 thing is for sure, your Ajooba-land is way better and realistic (*sigh*) than the ajooba we are hoping for (read cracking the exam!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome,,,! nicely written...nd all ur cures are also very exciting. There is no doubt that a new ajooba is added to this place for (u never know) 6 months.
    Soo-gar soo-gar every where! , i believ thats what it is like at that place as it seems from your description. Ur order tea, drink tea and laugh-order tea, drink tea and laugh is also cool! is that your daily routine?? S
    o many diseases uve written some are found more commonly amongst innocent, low maintenance varieties of Homo Sapiens Species, belonging to the S- Grade (:O am I also affected?? ;))
    ...nywho,, its been a long time since i heard of u,, i hope u r as good as ur ever green ajooba types genuine smile,, which u wud be spreading in AJOOBAPUR...make sure,, u eat lots of ganna in th Ganna Land, nd gain some more health :P
    tc
    -Soo-meet:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. [Apparently my comp hangs up every time I try posting a comment on your blog!! That's twice in a row now!! X( ]

    Okay, I'm reading the post for the second time now, coz apparently my memory sucks and I've forgotten what I wanted to comment on!

    1. Sabse pehle to.... you started another blog!!! Whyyyyy!!! Now I have to look for addresses to re-read the posts!! [Plz compile them together..and put em someplace!]--and on that note, I re-read your first blog..and lol-ed again!

    2. Am I too nerdy to think of bagassosis and byssinosis on reading the title of the post! *sigh*

    3. Good to see you getting into my line.. diseases and all!! *soo happy!!*

    4. It is Homo sapiens sapiens ... Not Homo sapiens!!! Of all the people in this world, I tought atleast you'd remember!

    5. You are having way too much fun! and I don't like that one bit!

    6. Please tell me that the place is seriously NOT called Ajoobapur!

    Chal, can't think of the other things I wanted to put in. They should have the comments section running on the sidebar, so that you can post em while reading the post!!

    -Arps

    PS: Btw, anyone come up with this yet, "Su-kar mere mann ko.." [..RDB!] ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ' A certain sir may please note this :P':- noted madam :-)

    Nice depiction of our stories !! it really deserved a writing !! the part i liked most is :- 'the disease could result into consequences that may be fatal ( for Momos )' .... i would love to see the fatal momos :-) :-) sadist laugh i would be giving !!

    i am happy that 'soo - gar' is the new word of the day !! i m feeling i should have patented, ab to ipr bhi file nehi kar sakta :-(

    anyways i should say awesome ( with all the emotions !! i hope u can visualise that ) writing .... keep it up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sssruti

    wat a soogury blog! and if u read my comment as u order tea drink tea... I'm hope I'm not too late! Ya considering u were the first one to comment on my stories as u ordered tea n had that cup of tea as well It's not too fair on my part. ( I do hope your office tea is better than ours... and considering the truck load of sooger the put in the tea here I'm only wondering how soogery u must have got ordering and drinking tea between laughs) BTW does the disease pass on to people u meet?? but newayz loved hearing from u!
    the best part is I too am getting hooked to "mast"
    I guess I'm already feeling myself a patient of mock ajoobaossis! coz so many of the symptoms match! will tell in details later!
    great blog!! God Bless keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember the #4 arps says!! i remember it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ All,
    Welcome :) ! thanks a ton for your hearty response here .. terribly sorry for late replies to ur comments ... It ws partial laziness (I wanted to say soo much, n cudnt bring myself to type it all!) and partially, the ltd net access at ajoobapur ..

    @ Healer Geller

    Yes yes yess... a non-blog person u are! .. and i am soo darn glad to see you leave your footprints here :) (and not once, but twice!! )
    And lolz .. nope, the Ajooba that u are hoping for, is not an ajooba at all .. Arps n You will come out with flying colors in the USMLE...Trust a Ganna's word! :D

    @ Soo-meet,
    Thanks for that detailed and generous feedback and take on the Ganna-land .. n naah, I hope no more beings of the S-grade suffer from this affliction, we are enough for being sacrificial lambs :( :P ...And oh, I can't eat plenty of ganna .. in fact, I can eat none at all *pouts* .. they actually have a rule against that ... "Ganna Choosna Sakth Mana Hai", say the signboards in the factory premises.. haha ..will u believe this! Hilarious as it is, it is very true! :D ..

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Soumya,

    kya Sir, Soo-gar is and will alwayys be ur patented term!
    Hum chote log toh aise hi ise use kar li hain..aapke gussa toh nahi hua hai?
    (:P okay, excuse my very crude attempt at imitating your broken hindi :P )

    I AM glad u liked the bit about the fatal consequences for our momo's .. of course, I knew u wud :D ...

    And yay! u rated the post 'awesome' ! (yes, I can vividly visualize the emotions/ expressions that go with it) .. :D
    *bows gracefully*
    PS. I promise to undo the damage done to your brand image amongst your pals, due to my careless choice of words tho .. You are def. not the 'gai- with-horns', nooo!!! *steps back 3 feet .. as a precautionary measure* :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Meet,

    Yo, meet! lolz .. well, our lives are not as soo-gary as they might sound to be .. the guest house kitchen in the soogar factory actually runs out of soo-gar sometimes.. can u beat this! :P

    Naah, the disease is not contagious at all ... you have GOT to be located near the gannas to pick up the infection!! ... So promise me u'll still hug me when we meet next! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Arps, Cheers for being such a passionately dedicated follower of my pointless life and blabbers ... ur enthusiasm almost adds some tiny point to it! :P

    1. Sorry abt the large number of blogs! ... I knew u'd be annoyed .. but what to do ..this one really does deal with a different theme altogether! :)

    2. No noo .. not nerdy at all! in fact, i am happy u mentioned it! .. Bagasosis is actually a disease which poses a health hazard in the sugar industry ( its by product being bagasse)..and we are supposed to be careful abt this .. ! The other one has to do with cotton dust I guess, n nothing with us! ..

    3. Welll .. yeah, I know what u mean .. tho there the me-getting-into-ur-line bit ends! ( for the welfare of mankind and for the sacred science of medicine :P )

    4. Of course I know it's Homo Sapiens SAPIENS!! how cud I forget that famous noddy-moment!! x-( I am upset *boo hoo hoo* .. let me recount the incident verbatim and prove my merit:

    *repasting an edited comment*
    [Bio. class, Prof. talking abt scientific names, mentions that of human beings: Homo Sapiens.
    Noddy ( real name: XXX (name deleted on request )- the first-rower- a desperate teacher's pet- and self proclaimed prodigy child) :: Ma'am, I would like to point out that recently it's been discovered that we are not 'homo sapiens' we are 'Homo Sapiens-Sapiens!! ** See note at bottom
    Prof ( lovingly caressing her pet kid's head in mock admonition) : No xxx, the new nomenclature system has added another 'Sapiens' for precise definition ... you can't DISCOVER a name right!!
    Noddy: *nodding vigorously as usual, to indicate the genius power of instant comprehension that he always innocently believed he had!*
    ** I rem. thinking.. yeah u're right kid.. we always knew YOU are nothing like 'homo sapiens'..that wud make u an INSAAN wudn't it!!

    PS. that just reminds me that I have always had this habit of codenaming things/ people ...*evil grin* This nickname 'Noddy' tht I casually coined for a batchmate in coaching, whose head would begin vibrating at a high frequency the moment a prof uttered a word .. the idea being .. "I know it all--- I understand it all--- I know it all, already .. the genius me!" 8)

    And lastly, haha :D .. no the place is called something else.. for confidentiality purposes, I won't type the name here .. just replace the two o's with an 'a', and delete the 'a' following the 'b'. Got it? ;)

    ReplyDelete